Frequently asked questions
  • How can we get started in the process of grieving our property tax assessment?

    It’s easy — if you’ve already received a marketing piece from us, you can authorize our services by accessing your personal webpage and following the instructions to sign with your mouse. If not, you can request a 2024/2025 authorization form here or email info@mptrg.com. Please sign, date and submit your authorization to us prior to the April 3, 2023 filing deadline.

  • If successful, when will the assessment reduction begin to appear on my tax bills?

    For the 2024/2025 tax year, a successful assessment reduction may be reflected in 3 possible ways.  If the reduction is implemented before the tax bills are issued, it will be reflected on the October 2024 (1st half) School Tax bill and the January 2025 (1st half) General Tax bill.  Alternatively, if the reduction is implemented after the tax bills are issued, it can be reflected by way of corrected tax bills and/or a refund of overpayment.

  • What are your fees?

    There is no fee to sign up. If we are successful, the fee is half of the total property tax savings. If we are unsuccessful, there is no fee. In the event of a Small Claims Assessment Review proceeding, a $30 court-imposed filing fee will apply, win or lose.

  • Should I bother filing a grievance if my County assessment seems low?

    Even if your assessment seems low, you should be filing a tax grievance on a yearly basis. Why? Because the School and General Tax rates are continuing to rise. If you do not file a grievance, you have no way to protect yourself from the consistently increasing tax rates.

  • Can you grieve my Village/City tax assessment?

    Yes, we can. However, the Village filing deadlines are different from the County. Please be sure to review our authorization form for the submission deadline for your Village. We will file a Village grievance on your behalf, if our analysis indicates that there is a good case for an assessment reduction.

  • What if I have property tax exemptions, will they be included in your savings calculations?

    No. We will only charge you for the savings that we achieve. We will not take credit for any exemptions – such as the reassessment phase-in, Basic or Enhanced STAR, Senior or Veteran’s exemptions – that you may have filed for on your own.

  • Is anyone from your office or the County going to inspect my property?

    No. No one will be coming to your home due to filing a grievance.

  • Can filing a Nassau County, Long Island grievance raise any red flags? Can it ever backfire?

    No. There are only two possible results of filing a grievance: your assessment will be reduced or it will remain the same. Your assessment cannot be increased due to the filing of a grievance for the tax year filed.

  • Can you also challenge the tax rate for me?

    No, we cannot grieve the School or General tax rates. We can only challenge the assessment. Tax rates are a function of the relationship between assessed values and local budgets such as the county, town, school and village. They are set by local organizational entities such as the County Legislature, the town, village or school boards in your neighborhood. Therefore, the only way a taxpayer can effectively “challenge” a tax rate is to be active politically – typically by voting or organizing others to vote in elections to support or oppose local budgets.

  • You successfully reduced my property tax assessment last year; does that mean I don’t have to file again this year?

    We strongly recommend that you authorize us on a yearly basis. If you do not challenge your assessment and the tax rates continue to rise, you will see an increase in your property taxes. Protect your right to a fair assessment.

  • Why is my Village assessment different from my County assessment?

    Because the County and Village have different assessors. Incorporated Villages are not required to utilize Nassau County’s assessment of your property. They are entitled to create their own assessments.

  • Since I received a reduction last year, I probably won’t get one this year, right?

    Wrong. As long as we have sufficient evidence, we can lower your assessment, again and again.

  • Would Nassau County have lowered my assessment automatically?

    No. A grievance must be filed for the assessment to be challenged. If we are successful, we will provide you with proof from the Nassau County Assessment Review Commission or the Small Claims Assessment Review.

  • I own a rental property; can I hire you to challenge the assessment if I don’t live there?

    Yes, rental properties are eligible for first-stage reductions; however, they are not eligible for Small Claims Assessment Review hearings because properties must be owner-occupied.

  • I may be putting my house on the market – should I bother hiring you to file a grievance?

    Yes, a tax grievance can make your property more appealing to prospective buyers. The lower the assessment, the more desirable your home may become.

  • What happens to my tax grievance if I go into contract/sell my home?

    If you are going to sell your home, it is critical to obtain the purchaser’s signed acceptance of an assignment of your tax assessment reduction agreement. Your real estate closing attorney can do this and we can provide you or your closing attorney with the appropriate form(s) for the purchaser to complete the assignment. Having a pending tax assessment appeal is a great selling point to make to any potential purchaser, as the buyer will know that you have taken steps to ensure they will not over-pay their taxes. Of course, in the unfortunate event that a deal falls through and you own the property for longer than anticipated, having a pending tax appeal protects your right to a fair assessment. Case transfer ensures that the party who receives the benefit of the savings (i.e. the buyer) is the one who pays the fee. If you sell the property and do not make arrangements to transfer your tax grievance to the buyer, you will remain responsible for the fee.